I am not even close to being the healthiest person…but for the last six months, I have been working hard on drinking more water. I am notorious for splurging on a semi-sweet tea or cherry coke so this has definitely been a challenge for me. Drinking the correct amount of water can benefit your overall health, from your metabolism to your digestive system. A lot of people will recommend eight glasses of 8 oz. And others will say it depends on size, weight, activity level, etc. Whatever you believe…I thought I would share with you some of my tips and tricks that have helped me drink more water.
- Have a cute (large) cup. This one might seem silly, but I just got a new jug and I can tell you that I have been drinking at least 2x the amount of water that I was before. I also think having a larger one is useful. The least amount of times I have to refill it the better.
- Another tip that might seem strange, but definitely works, eat something sweet. Now the trick to this one is eating something small. Sometimes water just doesn’t sound good. To activate this craving I will eat a small piece of candy (caramel filled Hershey kisses are my fav) and I will be able to drink water directly after without feeling like gagging. When I have something that sweet, something refreshing like water sounds so good afterward.
- Be consistent! The more I drink..the easier it gets. Creating a habit is key.
- Realize that hunger craving may actually just mean you are thirsty. A lot of studies have shown people will confuse water cravings for food cravings and will eat something instead of drinking water. Making a concise effort to think that way will do wonders in the long run.
- And lastly, don’t beat yourself up over drinking something other than water. When I first started this I didn’t quit other things cold turkey. Honestly, I think drinking other stuff is fine as long as it is in moderation. If I have a coke at the movie theater (one of my favorite things to do) I will then tell myself that I have to drink at least two more glasses of water that day…or not have anything else for the next couple days. It is a good way to stay motivated and not feel too restricted if you are struggling with sticking with it.
Do you have any tips or tricks to drinking more water? Let me know in the comments down below!
Thank you for reading. 🙂